Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve- John Bryan State Park



There are many tranquil views at Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve - John Bryan State Park. The area here is a moist environment and arbor-vitae,  hemlock,  maple and yews are abundant.


The gorge itself is post-glacial. As I descend deeper into the valley, there appears to a 15-degree temperature drop. In many areas, the dolomite and shale bedrock overhangs have eroded and crumbled to the floor of the valley.  





The Little Miami River is designated as a state and national scenic river. The river funnels through a deep and narrow channel in bedrock and as it proceeds- it widens. I walk along many trails of waterfalls-  Amphitheater Falls- being my favorite. 





I pause here at Steam-boat Rock to hydrate. Steamboat rock is a large slump rock shaped like a boat.

This preserve was registered as a National Natural Landmark in 1968 and is considered to be one of the most scenic in western Ohio. There's a lookout with the depiction of Patterson's Mill, tales of Darnell's Leap, and much more. Each time I visit, I find something undiscovered

Of Note: Pets are allowed in John Bryan State Park but not Clifton Gorge.

Trails and Sights

I wanted to expand this post in 2023 to include the video and write a little bit about the natural world and trails in this preserve which I believe are some of the best in the state of Ohio. 

There are ten different trails in the park and some follow the scenic river gorge. The Little Miami River flows through Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve and some points it is wider than others. 

There is a section we hiked through where I thought that I was looking at a pond which reminded me of something I saw as a child on the television show Land of the Lost. You can see this in my video below at  1.35.

You can not go wrong taking any of the trails. We have taken quite a few of them and will tell you there are some steep sections so caution is needed. We are usually mindful to wear a decent pair of hiking boots and to watch our step for a good foothold when in areas where we find a lot of rocks and roots. 

My favorite area is probably Amphitheater Falls The waterfall is located on the Gorge Trail and takes you into the gorge and near the stream I appreciate being down in the belly of the preserve that way I can look up at the expanse of dolomite and limestone.


Happy Trails, Lori 





                                          Images from some of our visits to this nature preserve



All material © 2014-2023 Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

Comments