View from Natural Bridge- Daniel Boone National Forest -Kentucky

On my list of things to do one day was to visit the Red River Gorge which is a canyon system on the Red River in east-central Kentucky. 

The gorge lies within the Daniel Boone National Forest and geologically it is part of the resistant sandstone belt of cliffs and steep-sided, narrow crested valleys in eastern Kentucky known as Pottsville Escarpment. 

Red River Gorge's most popular arch. The Natural Bridge Arch is in Slade Kentucky an according to some geologists is said to be around a million years old. 

While traveling in Kentucky, my husband surprised me with a stop in Slade. Here's your chance, he said. Located right behind Hemlock Lodge is the trailhead for the Battleship Rock Trail. I elected to take the Sky Lift Gondola up the mountainside to cut some time off my visit since the husband stayed behind in the vehicle with our dogs

A hiker was kind enough to offer to take this image of me at the top of the skylift.


My perch was on the natural sandstone arch that is 65 feet tall and 78 feet long. I breathed deeply - ecstatic and trembling at the same time.

I heeded all warnings as the surface is uneven and there is no railing. I walked towards the edge - not too close- as this is a natural bridge and approaching too close can result in serious injury or death.

A turn on the platform takes you on a 1200ft scenic footpath to Lookout Point. 























I squatted down to improve my stability and centered my eye on what appeared to be smoke rising beyond a distant ridge which I was informed was Lover’s Leap.

The sandstone arch is such an amazing sight I wanted to see more so I went down the stairs that wind around rock formations and turn into a steep, rocky staircase This area is known as Devil's Gulch, which is not for the faint of heart, but avid hikers and climbers will surely enjoy it.

I'd almost turned back when I saw a very narrow path but some kids ahead of me were tackling it so I thought why not give it a try and squeezed my way between gigantic slabs of stone which are said to be Fat Man's Squeeze or Fat Man's Misery.























The view directly below the arch is pretty spectacular. And everywhere I looked, I was astounded by the rich natural colors of the Daniel Boone National Forest.


This was an awe-inspiring moment and a view I'll always remember. I wish you all a view to remember, Lori

All material ©. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

Post a Comment