Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory





Today, we traveled to Fort Wayne, Indiana to walk through the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory.

This winter, The Showcase Garden is "Changing Tides" by internationally-known artist Sayaka Ganz. I have to say that I felt the lush foliage was the perfect background for her imaginative and colorful seascapes. 

The archway behind me is made of a myriad of plastic kitchen tools and other plastic accessories. I saw bowls, dishes, strainers, spoons, forks, cups, eggs containers, shoe horns and so much more.  




The Showcase Garden also features lifelike sculptures of a coral reef, dolphins, kelp, and jellyfish. I found the "Changing Tides" exhibit to be very inspiring and an excellent reminder that items we use every day can be re-purposed into something else.
I was informed that this exhibit will be on display until April 5th, 2015.


In addition to the showcase garden, there are other garden rooms worth spending time in.



The Tropical Garden's highlight is a cascading waterfall. If you stand on the bridge you'll see that the water flows below and swiftly moves under the bridge to a pond full of boldly colored goldfish.



























This tropical garden room is home to birds of paradise, palms, a beautiful chocolate tree,  and other large tropical species such as the banana tree towering over me in the above photo. 














If you think you smell the wonderful scent of fresh oranges, you're correct. And you will find them in the location I am standing in. "No, I am not touching one, I'm just photographing it." And that's a Feltbush in the right foreground.


The Desert Garden replicates the Southeast and has jojoba, yucca, mesquite, ironwood trees, and a variety of cacti. I'm partial to the Prickly Pear. 






I also love this beautiful Organ Pipe Cactus.






As you exit you'll want to check out the  Gift Shop. There's now a  Bagel Shop and I always enjoy the Sales Garden which has attractive potted plants at reasonable prices.

We enjoyed our day and the trip to Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory, in the middle of winter, was like taking a vacation-surrounding ourselves with nature and some thought-provoking artwork.

Do you have a favorite exhibit you've seen at Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory?


All material © . Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.


Comments