Ridin the Rails


It's unlikely that it would come as a shock that I adore trains. As a child, I had a deep fascination with them. My dad built us a platform for a model train set and that set in motion my interest. To this day, I still enjoy attending model train shows.



Going forward, this week my husband surprised me with a train ride. He purchased tickets from The Allen County Museum for the Ridin the Rails event which took 650 passengers on a round-trip train ride from Lima's Lincoln Park to the Quincy Bridge near Quincy, Ohio.

This is the train we took. The 3170 is believed to be one of only four SD40 locomotives preserved, out of approximately 1,268 built - powered by a 3,000 horsepower 645-series General Motors engine. The SD40 locomotives replaced “first generation” diesel locomotives that displaced steam locomotives in the 40s and 50s.



I was thrilled with excitement as I handed the crew my ticket and stepped into the beautifully restored train car - making my way to my seat. I closed my eyes before we took off and imagined the men throwing switches, coupling and uncoupling cars, setting and releasing brakes, flagging ahead, and watching for any hazards.



In the midst of my thoughts, the train started and we were on our excursion. Gazing out the window, I enjoyed the soothing landscape and thought about all the train stations that we'd been to that are now restored as gift shops, restaurants, and museums. 



My thoughts were interrupted as the Strolling Musicians began to play. They were the entertainment onboard Ridin the Rails excursion.

.


 .

We made our way over the Quincy Bridge near Quincy, Ohio and I thought of Chris Van Allsburg quote "We climbed mountains so high it seemed as if we would scrape the moon. But the Polar Express never slowed down. Faster and faster we ran along . .

Ohio's scenic train excursions offer Polar Express rides during the Christmas season. The Polar Express movie 2004 was based on the 1985 children's book by Chris Van Allsburg. 

Allen County Museum continues to offer Ridin the Rails every couple of years.




I expect I am like most passengers on board Ridin the Rails. We all enjoyed the journey and the scenery. See the vlog a passenger posted from that day.

.

Comments