My 50's Dining Experience





























This week was a lot of first stops for me and one I truly enjoyed was Mom's Diner and Pizzeria.  My food was great and it has the 50's look that I appreciate. You know the one where from the very minute you pull open the door... you feel as though you have stepped into a 50's diner.

I did not grow up in the 1950s but my parent did. When I arrived my dad was already working outside the house and mom stayed home and tended to everything else which included looking after me and my siblings.

There were a lot of games around the house that looked well worn. Monopoly, checkers, and card games, such as old maid and go fish were frequently brought out. I soon became bored with the games and often preferred to get out my pottery wheel or wood-burning kit and use it. If I was outside, playing in the yard, I'd likely be skipping rope or playing with my hula hoop.

Around 5:00pm, mom would call us in for dinner. Mom generally cooked our meals and I would help out when needed. We didn't have a kitchen that looked like a 50's diner above.  Mom did serve some of the best pot roast and meatloaf around.
On special occasions, we might go to the Happy Humpty which was just a few minutes drive from our home.

The scent of fried onion rings fills the air as our waitress approaches our table. The tables and chairs here are reminiscent of one's mom and dad owned. The floors here are covered in the popular black and white check pattern and there is a  colorful jukebox playing across the way. Located near the blackboard menu is a selection of tasty-looking pies. A floor-to-ceiling Christmas tree is a reminder that it will soon be time to gather with family.

I glance around and from every table, there's a view of 50's signage some in bright neon lights. If you were here, you'd see all the photographs of Elvis and a nifty collection of bottle caps. My favorite Grape Soda is displayed on the wall. 

































As I took this photo of my husband across the table from me, I had a 'Pleasantville' moment. I thought about how images back then were often black and white as color photographs did not become popular until the 1960s. 

Today, one might think it a shame that everyone did not know the true color of every 50's dining experience...but I knew this one... on this day.

Mom's Diner and Pizzeria is located on the main drag in Archbold Ohio.

Comments