Goll Woods State Nature Preserve

 



We happened upon Goll Woods State Nature Preserve by accident. 

I saw the sign from the road as we were traveling by and informed my husband I would like to make a stop there. In turn, he turned around and drove back to the location.

I might even go so far to say that this visit was a happy accident minus some voracious mosquitoes.

This spectacular  321-acre nature preserve is near Archbold, Ohio. It is a designated National Natural Landmark which means this park has outstanding biological and geological resources

The park is known for its oak-hickory forest which has some strikingly large white oaks, chinquapin oaks, and cottonwoods, and is said to be home to the largest trees remaining in the state. 

It's reported that some of these trees are 200- 400 years old and measure 4 feet in diameter. 

Oaks are commonly reproduced from acorns and stump sprouts and are often used around our area for furniture making. Hickory trees grew in my Grandparent's woods. If I recall correctly, Grandpa used Hickory for making his tool handles as it was good strong wood. 




Here along the path, I took a photo of the sign denoting a Vernal Poll. Vernal Pools are seasonal depressional wetlands. They are covered by shallow water for variable periods from winter to spring and serve as crucial breeding habitat for certain species of wildlife. This is the fall season and the pool is dry. There are many trails and one that passes by the Goll Cemetary.

I must point out to you that this time of year is not the best to be hiking. I was going at a  pretty good clip and the carbon dioxide I expelled eventually alerted every mosquito to my location. This caused us to cut our hike shorter than we would have liked.

Comments