Swiss Amish county


It's a beautiful sunny day. We left early this morning and by mid-afternoon, we were meandering on a stone road we'd never been on before in Swiss Amish county. 

We were informed that the Amish relocated to this area because of cheap land. We saw the Amish wrapped in blue blankets in open buggies and there were many signs posted to beware of high water. 

We stopped into a small store and the Amish man in front of us was buying a small purple Easter basket and a bottle of Lavender scented bleach. He left the store in front of us and went over to his buggy which was tied up southeast of the parking lot.




Amish beliefs and practices extend back hundreds of years, to the time of the Protestant Reformation in Europe. The first Amish immigrant left Switzerland and came to America, where they settled first in Pennsylvania and then made their way to my area. 


Amish brought with them Ordnung rules for living. These rules explain their way of life. The purpose of the Ordnung is to help the community lead a godly life.

 Amish have their own schools as well and their beliefs forbid many things, including color in clothing, on walls, and many material things. They often use a  German dialect called Pennsylvania Dutch. High German for worship and English with outsiders such as me. 

Members of the community help each other and individualism is avoided. 

The nearby Amish do not seek to add  “English" to their church. I'm referred to as “English”. I do not shy away from technology. I have color on my walls and wear colorful clothing. I do not own a buggy, instead, I drive a vehicle for transportation. 

Over time I've learned that I have a  similarity to the Amish. I too believe that everyone has a unique worth to the world.


Link here to my book blog Lori's Book Loft.

Comments