Komminsk Legacy Park , New Bremen, Ohio





I came to New Bremen today, to walk over the Bowstring” cast-and-wrought-iron truss bridge which spans the Miami-Erie Canal. This canal has the distinction of being the transporter of passengers and freight between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. This 1864 Morrison cast-iron “bowstring” footbridge was installed across the canal in 1984-85 and has the significance of being the oldest bowstring bridge in Ohio. I'm informed that only 74 iron bowstring bridges are known to be in existence today. From the bridge, I can look down the canal to the Locks and view the Lockkeeper's House. In addition to loving the historical aspect of this place, I must tell you I adore Komminsk Legacy Park which is an interactive art park. As I approach the park, on my left, the lion, lioness and cubs welcome me. I position myself so I am standing next to a spring flowering tree at the embankment slide. From this vantage point, I can view the entire park. I see the outdoor instruments I am so fond of. There are drums and a few xylophone-like instruments which I can't seem to pass up playing. There is also a splash pad, a sun-shade structure, and the Crown Pavilion. This is a wonderful location to spend a sunny spring day

Comments